Monday, August 9, 2010
Back To Life; Back To Reality
It is amazing to me how quickly I slip back into my healthy habits when given the opportunity to work from home. (Of course, it helps that I am totally re-motivated from a weekend of discussing fitness and weight loss!) I could have slept in at least a bit, but I automatically woke up around 8 AM and, after going about my morning routine (pee, brush teeth, weigh in), fired up both laptops to check in for the day.
(Anybody else having a big of trouble "disconnecting" after this past weekend? I feel like I'm unable to step away from Twitter right now).
Then, re-motivated by this weekend of healthy blog talk, I immediately put on some workout clothes (dressed to the shoes!), filled my water bottle, and set about making a healthy breakfast. I'm digesting right now, then heading out for a run/walk, despite the stifling heat and humidity that seems to have completely taken over this summer.
A couple of quick hits --
1) I was thrilled with my scale-hop this morning. I was down .5 from my pre-BlogHer weight, and that is actually quite incredible, given that usually I am up a few pounds simply from the plane-dehydration alone.
2) There's nothing more humbling than putting on your favorite running clothes from a few years ago and realizing... wow, that is a lot tighter than it used to be!
3) Based on my learnings from this past weekend, I'm considering doing some video blogging ("vlogging"). Any thoughts on that? The recommendation was in regards to demonstrating cooking or fitness actions that are hard to explain with words and no images.
4) I've realized that I need to re-incorporate more lifting / core work into my exercise routine. I used to end every workout session at the gym by doing at least 50 crunches, and now I just... don't do it at all. Bad news bears.
5) Need to get better about taking my multi-vitamin and other supplements too -- I kicked THAT goal off this morning by swallowing a maltov cocktail of multi-vitamin, B complex, B12 and D.
6) I met a TON of cool bloggers this weekend -- the list below is by no means comprehensive but just a quick showing of new blogs I'll be following:
(*) = panelist at Saturday's fitness blogging session
(**) = hung out with this girl a bit - very funny, because we were randomly sitting next to each other in a lounge area; I was checking email, she was networking with somebody else, and I overheard her say "Well, I write at Jessruns.com." My head whipped around and I said "No way, I write at seejessicarun.com! Ha. We then sat together at the fitness blogging session.
You can read a transcript of the session here, noting that I am "audience member" that commented right at the end... and they did a pretty good job of summing up what I said, but my point was that the weight loss blogging community is a safe zone for those of us who have never had anybody to talk to about our body image / weight management struggles... so it is important to admit the successes AND the failures, because people take comfort in the idea that they aren't the only one who continues to struggle.
And NOW, I am off for some exercise while it is "only" 84 degrees (lovely), 60% humidity (gag)
Off and running,
Plan for the day:
B: Scrambled egg, english muffin, slice of havarti, cooked in EVOO (6 points = 1 oil, 1 dairy)
L: Smoothie! (8 points = 3 fruit, 1 dairy)
S: Vegetables w/ hummus (2 = 2 dairy)
D: sushi with a gf... which is why I need to go earn some serious APs!
Water water water... still re-hydrating from NYC...
Off and running,