I'm selling two of these bad boys in my shop, because I just recently discovered the joy of the foam roller -- I have used them at the gym from time to time, but on Sunday, I finally puchased one for myself to aid in stretching after at-home workouts / runs / walks / bike rides. When I was getting my massage on Monday (and the masseuse was lamenting over how tight I was), he commented "you know what would be really good for you... a foam roller!"
"I JUST bought one yesterday!" I told him. I hadn't even USED it yet, but he was thrilled to hear I had one at home -- he commented that when he was in massage school, they used 'em all the time.
Anyway, I've been using it nightly and have noticed a marked decrease of tension in my back, neck, and quads.
This website has some great pictures of ways that you can use the roller to aid post-workout stretching. Since I don't need to wait for a sample in order to test this out and see if it is worthy of my accolades, I put it in the shop right away -- there are two versions, both reasonably priced. One is a half-cylinder and the other a full (note: I've only used the fully cylindrical version).
Moving right along...
- I didn't manage to get out of bed early enough to sneak in a workout this morning, but my 3 PM meeting is a "walking meeting," which I'm quite excited about! I've never actually done that before, though I do sneak out for walks from time to time during the workday.
- Navigated an office pizza party quite well today -- 2 slices of vegetable pizza and a bit of salad and water. Not as healthy as a home-packed meal, but good nonetheless
- Had a spontaneous happy hour last night with a good girlfriend who was having a tough week... discovered that sometimes I am the one who needs a reminder to make healthy choices (rather than being the one doing the reminding). Girlfriend is newly enrolled in weight watchers -- and she steered our menu choices away from onion rings and high-fat options and towards gazpacho, hummus & pita, and schezuan green beans. It was great to come home from happy hour feeling like.... I ate just as healthily as I would have at home. Thanks lady!
- And FINALLY... I'm a new member of the "Healthy Living Blogs" website. Yay! Healthy Living Blogs is "a website designed to enhance the positive community of the healthy living blog world. Bloggers and readers can explore the site and find more blogs to love, fellow bloggers in their area, and forums to deepen healthy discussion and support." I can't wait to add these lovelies to my feed reader!
Healthy Living Blogs is a new resource for the health blogging community. Created by Lindsey of Sound Eats, HLB is a site designed to enhance the positive community of the healthy living blog world. Bloggers and readers can explore the site and find more blogs to love, bloggers in their area, and forums to deepen healthy discussion and support. If you're interested in having your site listed on HLB, simply send the following information to email@example.com and check the site out for yourself!
- Email subject line: MEMBERS
- Your name (please share if you prefer to go by first name, first and last, or however you prefer to be known on the Internet)
- Blog Name
- Blog URL (please start with http://, not www.)
- Your twitter handle, if applicable
- Your location (if you prefer not to disclose this information for privacy's sake, that is completely understandable. We'll simply include your blog listing in the A-Z listing, not by location, too)
- Any specific labels (i.e. vegan, gluten-free, weight loss, running, etc.)
On that note -- it's time for my walking meeting!
Off and running,