Thursday, April 19, 2012
In Defense of Food
This is always a loaded question, simply because it brings up factors of love, death, longing, inquisition... but in keeping with the theme of this blog, and the fact that imma girl who loves to throw a party, my themed dinner would be with 5 writers who discuss food, food politics, cooking, nutrition, and weight management.
1. Michael Pollan - In Defense of Food / The Omnivores Dilemma
2. Peter Pringle - Food, Inc
3. Eric Schlosser - Fast Food Nation
4. Jamie Oliver - Food Revolution, Cook Your Way to the Good Life, The Naked Chef (plus who can resist that adorable accent?)
5. Lucia Watson - Savoring the Seasons of the Northern Heartland; owner of Lucia's restaurant and wine bar in Mpls; James Beard award nominee... and family friend. :-)
(Honorable mention: Mark Bittman, Alice Waters, Thomas Keller, Lynn Rossetto Kasper, and Michelle Obama for her work in planting an organic garden at the white house and fighting childhood obesity).
We'd gather -- preferably in her restaurant -- and talk about food.
We'd plan a menu.
We'd cook -- with Lucia and Jamie teaching kitchen technique.
And Michael, Peter, and Eric teaching us about nutrition, food politics, genetically modified foods and how to avoid them, the dangers of high fructose corn syrup, why Monsanto is evil, and other fun topics like the nastiness of school lunches and why America has an obesity problem.
And then - we'd dine.
Taking a lighthearted approach to the above topics, we'd pour some wine, light some candles, play some music, and dive in -- savoring the nourishing, flavorful, satisfying and NATURAL meal we'd just made.
Hopefully I'd leave with five new friends.
Off and running,